Skimming is a very common word in IELTS Reading Module. Yet, many find it difficult to understand the concept of skimming or to do it. Some strategies may help you here. So, I’ve discussed some essential skimming strategies below.
What is skimming?
Skim means to read, study, consider, treat, etc. in a superficial or cursory manner. We can get the idea from here that Skimming is the technique of reading quickly to get the general idea about something. It means not to read for gathering the complete idea of something, rather, reading for the sake of getting a bird’s eye view.
How to do Skimming?
Consider the following steps for becoming an expert in skimming.
- Target the headline of the passage. Most of the time, it gives you a general sense of the total passage. If there is any sub-heading just under the heading, don’t forget to have a look.
- The next step is to read the opening sentences of every paragraph. It is customary for good article writers to include the main idea of each paragraph at the very opening. So, have a quick look. You can do it two times, if you are new in Reading Module.
- Use your pencil. Underline the words which you think as significant. It might not actually be, yet don’t forget to underline them. This will help you get a common idea of what is being discussed.
- Overlook words that are unfamiliar to you. Many students waste their time looking at unknown words. They don’t help you, rather they kill your valuable time.
- Identify and underline words that have some sort of connections. (i.e. food, restaurants, cuisine, table-manners, reception, hospitable etc.- all these words are related to eating out)
- Always remember not to become busy with the details of the paragraphs.
It will take some time to be accustomed with Skimming in IELTS Reading Module. Don’t be hopeless if your progress is slow. Keep working. You will be habituated eventually.
Happy IELTS !