IELTS Writing Task 2: 14 Task 2 topics with top / best ideas for writing/ mind-maps/ organised ideas; for both AC & GT
This IELTS Writing Task 2 post focuses on the ideas needed for writing a task 2 topic. It is a targeted post both for IELTS AC and GT test takers. In this post, you will find the ideas for writing 14 IELTS Task 2 questions. Most of these questions have recently appeared in the IELTS exams around the world. I hope this post helps you to arrange your ideas so that you can write an outstanding IELTS task 2 essay of your own.
To learn how to arrange a mind-map before writing, follow this link
Here are 14 task 2 questions with ideas/ mind-maps for writing an outstanding essay.
- Some people argue that it is more important to have an enjoyable job than to earn a lot of money. Others disagree and think that a good salary leads to a better life. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Agree part: Earning a handsome salary
Positive sides: Life becomes easier,
Physical fitness improves,
mental peace prevails,
opportunities to do better job or business,
shape the future in a better way
Negative sides: People start to spend money lavishly,
Laziness gradually grasps people,
attitude to work declines,
people may become spiritless,
people may lose aim or purpose of life
Disagree part: Enjoying the job
Positive sides: Satisfaction of mind,
improvement of skills,
development in taking workload,
chances of earning a promotion,
Negative sides: May suffer for want of money,
extra-pressure of work,
loss of physical and mental fitness,
- Many students decide to further their study abroad what are the benefits and drawbacks of studying abroad. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Broaden outlook and horizon of opportunity,
advanced education system,
enjoyable study environment,
value of certification
Homesickness and loneliness,
disoriented because of lack of knowledge about abroad,
Brain-drain (comfortable life of abroad attracts the students) and loss of valuable manpower for a country
- As mass communication and transport continue to grow, societies are becoming more and more alike leading to a phenomenon known as globalization. Some people fear that globalization will inevitably lead to the total loss of cultural identity. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Opportunities for jobs and businesses,
exchange of cultural specialties,
overall global bonding strengthens
Much openness can threaten any indigenous culture,
Fear of exploiting cheap labor from developing and undeveloped nations,
- Though the internet offers a lot of advantages, some people believe that it creates too many problems.To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
loss of social skills,
Convenience and efficiency, international friendship through communication, easy and quick access to information around the world
- Environmental pollution is increasing rapidly and many countries are trying to work out these problems by adopting various measures.What are the possible solutions and what is your personal view on it?
Use of eco-friendly products,
use public transports than using private transports,
plant more trees,
Personal opinion part:
The government must take steps -> building purifying factories,
developing alternative energy production,
lower public transport fares,
Integration among government, media and mass people is needed
- Group-travel with a tour guide is far better than traveling alone. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Group traveling ensures security,
Guides can help understand a place better,
nobody feels lonely
Some may need isolation,
too many people may make irritation,
problems in making and taking decisions,
communication problem with people with different mind-setting
- Most common languages such as English, Spanish and Mandarin are becoming more widely spoken day by day and many people are afraid that many of the minority languages may die out. Some countries have taken measures to protect minority languages. What is your opinion about this issue?
Here you need to provide your opinion. You need not give reasons. You may point out some effects. You may talk about some importance of preserving a special language.
Language -> a vital part of a culture -> if dies out, a characteristic of a culture also dies out
Important data or information is lost -> the culture becomes difficult to understand
Culture enriched through language -> if not preserved, social identity of that culture is under threat
Government / Higher authority: establish language learning or training school,
improve the standard of teaching,
highlight elderly people who know special languages
Media: can broadcast sessions on the importance of preserving a language
- Many people choose a house over an apartment, while many others would rather go for the benefits and the advantages of living in an apartment. Are there more advantages than disadvantages to living in a house rather than in an apartment?
House: freedom of living the way one likes,
free from noise pollution,
low cost of living,
Apartment: fewer worries about maintenance,
fewer worries about safety and security,
no worries about additional payments,
locations are easy and accessible to markets, institutions etc.
House: worries about maintenance,
worries about safety and security,
locations are not always easy and accessible to markets, institutions etc.
Apartment: no freedom of living the way one likes, can be noisy, can be costly,
- The threat of nuclear weapons maintains world peace. Nuclear power provides cheap and clean energy. The benefits of nuclear technology far outweigh the disadvantages. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer.
Massive energy production, alternative for fossil fuel/ less use of fossil fuel, continuous production, may seem costly but eventually proved to be cheaper than other power plants, nuclear weapons can maintain global peace if used systematically (threat to challenging nations),
Nuclear disasters -> threat to the environment, life, even countries (examples from Chernobyl, Fukushima)
The difficulty of maintenance -> need the best expertise -> can be costly
The threat to global peace -> if used illegally (examples of World War II)
- Should museums and art galleries be free of charge for the general public, or should a charge, even a voluntary charge, be levied for admittance? Discuss this issue, and give your own opinion.
Charging for museum entry:
Advantage part: the need of income source
Museums need maintenance -> costly,
Need up-to-date security system -> costly,
Employees need salary -> costly,
Preservation of ancient artifacts -> costly,
Research -> Costly, renovation -> costly
Security issues -> prevents bad people to enter
Disadvantage part: excessive charging
Discourages students and those who have poor income -> museum loses potential visitors
Most museums get grants or funds -> No need to charge too much
Authority can consider sponsorship -> People with low or no income should be given free-entrance
- Do you think that advertisements actually benefit the viewers? Explain your answer with examples.
Adverts educate the mass people,
Competitive world market,
Viewers can compare between good and bad,
Fake advertising -> people buy fake products,
People buy unnecessary products,
- As countries around the world are developing, the tendency of buying cars is increasing at a faster pace. Do the advantages for the individual outweigh the disadvantages for the environments?
Advantages for individuals who buy cars:
Freedom to travel,
Can take family members, friends and anything necessary with him/her,
Comfort while travelling,
safe driving -> no rush
Disadvantages for the environment with more cars:
More cars mean more pollution -> threat for public health,
can increase traffic jam -> loss of working hours,
unnecessary use of cars -> an increase of diseases like diabetes, physical weakness etc.
- Many people think restoration projects for old buildings takes a huge amount of government expenditure. It would be more beneficial to use this money for the development of infrastructures like new buildings and roads. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the given statement?
Need for restoring old buildings:
These edifices -> symbols of specialties in a culture,
Matter of pride,
the inspiration for new designs,
Need for developing infrastructures:
Responsibility of government,
boosts a country’s economy and development,
development of civilization
- Nowadays, medical research projects are funded in order to improve medicine and treatment, to help to produce effective medication in order to improve health and tackle various diseases. In your opinion, do you think that research should be carried by private companies, individuals or governments?
Holds the maximum power,
can easily arrange funds,
can ask for foreign aids,
can easily establish a working committee for arrangement of funds,
Can be a lengthy project, can offer strict conditions,
Less powerful than governments but NGOs can invest money in medical research,
quick access to many organizations,
conditions can be systemized,
Lowest power yet can be useful,
arrange money or fund the quickest,
Please let me know by commenting here if you have any problems regarding arranging ideas. I’ll try to give you more ideas.
[…] Click here to get mind-maps/brainstorming ideas for 14 writing task 2 topics […]
[…] Click here to get mind-maps/brainstorming ideas for 14 writing task 2 topics […]