This IELTS speaking part 2 post focuses on a recent topic card that appeared in the IELTS exam, and it is quite a simple topic card to talk about. At present, there are thousands of memorable advertisements that convey some positive messages. The title of the topic card can be ‘Describe an advertisement you remember. You will find some plans/ideas, a model answer, and some part 3 questions on the given topic card. Hopefully, this sample answers will help you to prepare for the cue card and some other cards as well.
Let’s have a look at the topic card:
Ideas for the topic card:
- Advert: product – tea
- Advert Type: TV commercial
- When watched: a couple of years ago, during live cricket match,
- What happens: shop owner opens window – help people enjoy southern air, sunny midday in the month of Ramadan, shows kindness towards exhausted passers-by and day labourers,
- Feeling: extremely positive, graceful gesture,
Thank you for this topic card. I think advertisements are in the centre of every business in the present world. We can hardly find any product or service that isn’t marketed through different adverts. For this topic card, I’m going to talk about a TV commercial that I saw on a TV channel a couple of years ago during a live cricket match telecast. It was an advert of a new brand of tea that not only conveyed their product quality but also displayed how to spread compassion and love all through society. We know that tea revives us and I firmly believe that this advert has such elements that can revive anyone who watches it.
The ad starts with an owner of a tea stall owner opening his shop on sunny midday during the month of Ramadan or fasting month for the Muslims, and this shocks the passers-by and regular customers who take tea. It’s because Muslim people generally don’t take any meal or tea during the daytime in Ramadan. So, out of curiosity, one aged person asks the polite owner of the shop why he opened the tea stall at this time instead of evening time. The man replies that he opened the shop so that exhausted people who are fasting, as well as day labourers, can come and sit down in his shop and enjoy the southern fresh air that comes through the window of his shop. He isn’t doing it for any profit; rather he is doing this for the sake of humanity. The old customer gives an extremely satisfying and precious smile listening to such wonderful thoughts. Finally, when the evening prayer call or Azan is heard, they break their fasting together enjoy tea.
I think this is undoubtedly one of the greatest advert concepts ever to display the spreading of human kindness. It’s because this advert doesn’t only show that products like tea can make people feel better, people can feel better by getting help from others. It can make us feel about the destitute people of the society. This is all about humanity and a shower of love poured from one person to another. I liked the advert also because of the setting, dialogue and Islamic tunes and music used in it in such a graceful way. The positive message shown in the ad throw graceful gesture makes it even more memorable.
Part 3 questions:
- How does advertisement affect people’s decisions in purchasing?
- Are advertisements consumer-friendly or more commercial nowadays?
- What should be the purpose of an advertisement?
- How were the advertisements for different products in the past, say 10 or 20 years ago? What differences can you see now?
- Do modern technologies play any role in advertising?
This topic card answer can also help you to talk about the following topic cards:
- A TV commercial you like
- An advertisement you watched a long time ago
- An advertisement that conveys a positive message
- A TV commercial that can have a great positive impact
- Your favourite advertisement
- An unforgettable advertisement
Here are model answers to some other speaking topic cards for your preparation: