This IELTS speaking part 2 topic is on a current matter that appeared in the exam, and it is a fairly complex topic card to talk about. Nowadays, we use many products or devices based on artificial intelligence. The title of the topic card can be ‘Describe a product or application that is based on artificial intelligence’. You will find some discussions, ideas, a model answer, and some part 3 questions on the given topic card. Hopefully, this sample answers will help you to prepare for the cue card and some other cards as well.
Let’s have a look at the cue card first:
Notes on the card:
Here are some notes that you can use during your speech for two minutes:
- Alexa- virtual assistant, created and developed by Amazon
- Watched in TV commercial during movie break
- Has – voice recognition ability
- Can – control electronic devices through application – play music – tell joke – give weather forecast – provide latest news & info.
- Had made – life – easier – comfortable
Thank you for the card. This is the age of technology and information and most of the people of the world are now in the touch of digital products as a result of technological advancements in different sectors. We use a plethora of digital products including smartphones, tabs, iPad, digital watches, e-book readers, digital cardio-meter etc. as they’ve made our life much easier than ever before. For this topic card, I’m going to talk about such a recent digital product that contains artificial intelligence (AI) and it is famously known as ‘Alexa’.
I learned about ‘Alexa’ by watching a TV commercial about six months ago. I was watching a movie on Turner Channel and during a commercial break, I watched that advertisement and came to know about this wonderful invention. After learning about all the amazing features, I bought it from a nearby electronic superstore and immediately installed it for some common house appliances.
Let me explain in brief about how ‘Alexa’ works.
‘Alexa’ is a very unique product created and developed by the world’s largest e-commerce company Amazon.com. It is a virtual assistant and capable of doing voice interaction, music playbacks, making to-do lists, setting alarms, streaming podcasts, playing audiobooks, and offering weather, traffic, sports, and other real-time information, such as news. Alexa can also organize several smart devices and control them using itself as a home automation system.
All you have to do is buy it and install the ‘Alexa application’ from Google Play Store, Apple App Store or Amazon App Store. By setting some general configurations you can allow ‘Alexa’ to control your laptop, smartphone, smartwatch, internet TV etc. As ‘Alexa’ has a voice integration system, you can give a voice command and ‘Alexa’ can play music from playlists, switch on the TV, change channels, accept incoming calls and send outgoing calls etc. It can also provide you with update weather forecasts and the latest news. One of the most amazing features of this product is that it can tell you jokes if you provide a command.
I use ‘Alexa’ to make my life more comfortable and I think the device is serving its purpose accurately. Nowadays, I don’t need to switch on my TV or go to Google Play Store to download any important app. I don’t need to search a dictionary to get the explanation of a word. A few days ago I ordered some foods online through ‘Alexa’ by giving a voice command. ‘Alexa’ is doing all these works for me and I feel this is seriously a great scientific achievement. I like this product quite a lot and I can depend on it.
Part 3 questions:
- In your opinion, what are the greatest inventions of modern technology?
- How do you think technology makes our life better and easier?
- Do you think artificial intelligence poses a threat to our privacy?
- Is there any way to protect our privacy from these devices?
- What is the future of our artificial intelligence?
- Do you believe in those movies related to artificial intelligence (AI)?
- Do you think it is safe for children to use mobile phones without adult supervision?
This topic card answer can also help you to talk about the following topic cards:
- A product containing artificial intelligence
- A recent modern invention
- A popular modern technology
- An invention that has made life easier and comfortable
- A scientific invention that saves time
- A time-saving modern device
Here are model answers to some other speaking topic cards for your preparation: