In this IELTS Speaking Part 2 post, I’m discussing a teacher who has greatly influenced in your academic life. This is also another common topic for IELTS Speaking. It is related to describing a person. It can be given as a cue card in different ways. So, for this topic card, you need to focus on how you describe a person and his/ her qualities. The model answer has been prepared by me. You may need to change some of the information here according to your choice.
Let’s have a look at the cue card question and the model answer.
Model Answer :
Since my childhood, I came in a touch of many teachers in different parts of my student life. Most of them are noteworthy and I still miss them. They were very influential for their different amazing characteristics. Among those teachers, I would like to talk about Misses Jullie Brookes. She was our geology teacher in our higher secondary level.
I remember Misses Brookes for many qualities she possessed. One of the smartest qualities she had was her well-manner and eloquence. She was such an outstanding teacher and we all liked her teaching style. We were very surprised to know that she knew a lot about geography and when she taught us, she told lots of relevant stories or interesting matters which made the classes more attractive. She did not consider much in giving homework as she had a very different way of looking at education. Therefore she always gave tasks which we had to finish before our classes conclude. Because of her, we did well in the board exams in Geography. Besides her grand way of teaching, she taught us ethics, the significance of education and valuing the morals, principles and time.
I have a great habit of reading history and geography books and all the credit goes to Misses Brookes. She developed this habit not only in me but also in all my classmates outside our course outline. This turned out to be very practical in our later lives. She encouraged us to read English newspapers, journals, watch history and geography related channels, technology and other subject related magazines. She was brilliant and very sociable with the students. She never turned down anyone whenever someone asked for her assistance and suggestion. She had a sporty figure and we found her often take part in different outdoor games. She inspired us to do physical exercises and outdoor games. Most importantly, she taught us not to be demotivated in any failure in our life.
In brief, Misses Brookes was an ideal person and teacher whom most of the students liked and respected very much. I still feel honored to have such a great personality as my teacher. I have been deeply influenced by her promptness, truthfulness, talent and excellent behavior. I still remember her and all the pieces of advice she gave me. She is the best teacher and the best personality in my life.
Tips for answering the Cue Card Topic:
Take the following notes on the following points; this will make your speaking easy and fluent.
- Name of the teacher (Misses Brookes)
- The subject he/she taught (Geography)
- The class/level he/she taught (Secondary level/high school)
- His / her teaching style (attractive, appealing, interesting, wonderful presentation style)
- Things I learned from him/her (politeness, kindness, truthfulness, integrity, courtesy)
- How s/he influenced me to do better in life (He/she had built up different good habits in me)
- The motivation I got from his/her personality/ teaching/ advice? (Being punctual, kind, helpful etc. being honest about anything, not being demotivated in times of failure, etc.)
When you can answer this cue card topic, it is expected that you will also be able to answer the following cue card topics:
- Describe a math teacher.
- Describe a teacher who gave you good advice.
- Describe a teacher from your childhood.
- Describe a teacher from your university.
- Describe a teacher who you would like to meet again.
- Describe a teacher whom you liked.
- Describe your favorite personality.
- A lady you admired.