This IELTS speaking part 2 topic focuses on a very recent topic that appeared in the exam, and it is quite a complex topic card to talk about. At present, every city or town has different facilities that benefit the mass people. The title of the topic card can be ‘Describe a newly built facility that improves quality in your city‘. You will find some discussions, plans/ideas, a model answer, and some part 3 questions on the given topic card. Hopefully, this sample answers will help you to prepare for the cue card and some other cards as well.
Here’s the cue card/ topic card:
Plan for the cue card:
- Railway project: ‘Connect 425’ (select any name)
- Reason for establishment: reducing traffic congestion and saving work hours
- A little description of the design: mammoth project, 7 underpasses, 3 overpasses, 5 regular roads- converted to railroads,
- Compare between the past (before the establishment of this facility) and the present (after the establishment of this facility)
- Past: longer queues, loss of work hours and jobs, poor air quality, sound pollution,
- Present: no queues of traffic, work hours and jobs saved, productivity and profit increase for companies, better air quality, sound pollution decreased,
Thank you for the card. Every city has some special facilities which improve the standard of the city in many ways. Many cities are famous for their traffic control systems, less pollution, and faster communication system, etc. which have been made possible due to the establishment of some facilities. For this cue card, I’m going to describe such a facility in my city that has rapidly improved the quality of lifestyle of the general people as well as the environment.
The facility is a metro railway project known as the ‘Connect-425’. The main aim of the project is to minimise the loss of work hours due to extreme traffic jams in the city which is affecting the economy and workforce seriously. During the establishment of the project, people had to suffer for some time as it was quite a mammoth project including 7 underpasses and 3 overpasses along with 5 regular roads that have been converted to railroads. However, after the successful completion of the project, people have started to gain benefits from it.
Previously, people in our city had to face various problems such as loss of work hours and loss of jobs due to excessive traffic jams. Also, the air quality was very poor as a result of excessive traffic in the same place for a long time. Moreover, sound pollution had increased rapidly. When the metro rail project has been completed, all these problems have reduced quickly. Nowadays, we don’t need to wait in a long queue of traffic as many people take the train service to reach their destination easily. There were some traffic-congestion prone hotspots in our city and ‘Connect-425’ was designed around those spots so that the congestion of buses, cars, and trucks could be declined. The Road Transport Authority has teamed up with the Metro Rail Department to plan some new routes to link the passengers who can use trains and road transports separately at the same time. This linking has proved to be successful and people using those hotspots now say that they don’t face traffic congestion like before. This has also resulted in the reduction of air and sound pollution in those areas and the City Council is hopeful that the loss of work hours and jobs can be shrunk down to 15% by the end of this year.
I personally feel very excited and happy about the project because I believe this has brought about a massive change in the lifestyle of the people living in and around the city. As they don’t face traffic jams and air pollution like before, their quality of health is improving at a faster rate. Furthermore, people are saving work hours and this is also increasing productivity and profit of their companies; so the City Council is also earning some extra revenue. They can also return from work easily and spend a great time with their family members and friends. I think a facility like this is vital for every city in our country.
Part 3 questions:
- Are there any other facilities in your city that benefit people in general?
- What can be done to protect and repair such public facilities?
- Is there any difference between public facilities in a town and in a village?
- How was the situation of public facilities in the past, say 10 or 20 years ago?
- Do modern technologies play any role in establishing public facilities?
This topic card answer can also help you to talk about the following topic cards:
- A facility established by the government
- A public facility
- A recent public facility that helps local people
- A big project
- A government project
- A facility that reduces pollution
Here are model answers to some other topic cards for your preparation: